Tuesday, September 3, 2013

That

I had a few moments to kill before Cymbeline rehearsal yesterday, so, on a whim I looked up the word "that" online. I often feel the word is more important in Shakespeare than it gets credit for - which is to say, I think actors don't stress it when they should.

If wikipedia is to be believed, the word "that" has seven grammatical functions in English:

In the first two uses the word is usually pronounced weakly, as /ðət/, whereas in the other uses it is pronounced /ðæt/.
 Because of Shakespeare's love of long poetic comparisons, he often used the word "that" as a demonstrative pronoun. I guess modern American readers see the word and aren't clear that it isn't used in one of the first two ways. The general rule, then, I suppose, is that to convey the meaning, when the word "that" is used as a demonstrative pronoun, it should almost always be stressed, regardless of where it appears in a line of verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment